Terri Miller - Regional School Wellness Specialist (RSWS)
109 South College Street
Martinsburg, WV 25401
Phone: (304) 267-3595 ext. 158
Fax: (304) 267-3599
Regional School Wellness Program:
Throughout the eight counties in RESA 8, the Regional School Wellness Specialist (RSWS) works to develop a Coordinated School-Public Health Partnership. This partnership will build collaboration among community, schools, and county school systems to assist students and staff in achieving healthy lifestyles. This will ultimately increase academic achievement and enhance student success. The Coordinated School-Public Health Program (CSPHP) addresses 8 components of wellness such as: staff support and wellness promotion; a healthy and safe school environment; family, business, and community involvement; guidance/counseling, psychological, and social services; nutrition services; physical education; and health education. This CSPHP is a collaborative effort supported by the Bureau of Public Health and the West Virginia Department of Education's Office of Child Nutrition and Healthy Schools.
Objectives for the Regional School Wellness Specialist (RSWS) include:
- Attending and supporting local school and/or county wellness team meetings.
- Coordinating the expansion of the CSPHP model by bridging the gap between resources and needs.
- Planning and providing professional development regarding school wellness/School Climate topics.
- Coordinating policy awareness, accountability, and compliance.
- Coordinating a Regional School Wellness Council.
- Making connections between needed services and available resources for schools and counties.
Technical Assistance or Training is offered in the following areas:
- Life Skills Training
- Electronic Health Data Grant
- Safe and Supportive Schools - Policy 4373 Overview/Implementation
- Discipline Management System (4373) Training
- Kid's First Initiative
- Health/PE Academy
- Health Education Assessment Project (HEAP)
- Fitness Gram Assessment
- School Health Profile
- School Health Index
- Youth Risk Behavior Survey
- Youth Tobacco Survey
- Safe & Supportive Schools Grant (S3)
- Let's Move West Virginia!
- Bullying Prevention
- Suicide Prevention